Monday, February 4, 2013

Internet Communication

The Internet has changed the way we communicate in a big way. I would say that it brought us closer to family and friends, yet made the friendships we have more impersonal. It is nice to be able to stay in touch with friends or family through their Facebooks. For example I get to see my family members and pictures of their children on facebook, which makes me feel as if I see them more than I do. I talk to people that I don’t normally see a lot in person through facebook, which makes me feel like I still keep in touch with them. I would agree that we choose to email rather than talk on the phone because it makes it more convenient for everyone, but does make it less personal. You can take your time with responding rather than talking on the phone and getting the conversation over with quickly. I believe that Skype is useful rather than visiting in person if the locations are future away, which makes Skype a wonderful thing. Friendship is very cheap now for the fact that we all have over 200 facebook friends with everyone who lives in our area. These days, when you say that someone is your “facebook friend” that doesn’t necessarily mean you are their friend in real life. Sometimes we will see people on our newsfeed that we don’t necessarily care to see information about because we might have only met them once in our life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie,

    I agree that the number of FB friends you have has very little to do with how many of those people are your close intimate friends.

    I have been thinking about how many of us consider e-mail to be less personal than a phone call, because then you are actually speaking to the person. But, one of my closest friends and I have never talked on the phone. When we lived close, we made plans via e-mail or in person. Now that we live hours apart, we only send e-mail, and they are as close to a real conversation as you can have on paper - very personal.

    I guess it really depends on the relationship you have with someone how personal or impersonal any of your communications might be.

    ReplyDelete